The Galileo system, once fully operational, will offer five high-performance services worldwide:
- Open Service (OS): Galileo open and free of charge service set up for positioning and timing services.
- Public Regulated Service (PRS): Service restricted to government-authorised users, for sensitive applications that require a high level of service continuity.
- High Accuracy Service (HAS): A free access service complementing the OS by delivering high accuracy data and providing better ranging accuracy, enabling users to achieve sub-meter level positioning accuracy.
- Commercial Authentication Service (CAS): A service complementing the OS, providing a controlled access and authentication function to users.
- Search and Rescue Service (SAR): Europe’s contribution to COSPAS-SARSAT, an international satellite-based search and rescue distress alert detection system.