The European GNSS Agency (GSA), the European Commission and the European Union accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the information on this site.
The GSA maintains this website to enhance public access to information about Galileo. Our goal is to keep this information timely and accurate. If errors are brought to our attention, we will try to correct them.
This information is:
- Of a mostly general nature and is not intended to address the specific circumstances of any particular individual or entity;
- Not necessarily comprehensive, complete, accurate or up to date;
- Often linked to external sites over which the GSA has no control and for which the GSA assumes no responsibility;
- Not professional or legal advice (if you need specific advice, you should always consult a suitably qualified professional).
Please note that it cannot be guaranteed that a document available online exactly reproduces an officially adopted text. Only European Union legislation published in paper editions of the Official Journal of the European Union is deemed authentic.
It is our goal to minimize disruption caused by technical errors. However some data or information on our site may have been created or structured in files or formats that are not error-free and we cannot guarantee that our service will not be interrupted or otherwise affected by such problems. The GSA accepts no responsibility with regard to such problems incurred as a result of using this site or any linked external sites.
Neither the GSA nor any person acting on its behalf accepts any responsibility in connection with the content of any linked external site. Linking should not be taken as an endorsement of any kind. The GSA cannot guarantee that these links will work all of the time and have no control over the availability of the linked pages.
Linking to the European GNSS Service Centre website for non-commercial and lawful purposes is authorised and free of charge.
This disclaimer is not intended to contravene any requirements laid down in applicable national law or to exclude liability for matters that may not be excluded under that law.
Except where otherwise stated, downloading and reproduction, for personal use or for further non-commercial or commercial dissemination, of documents or information available on the European GNSS Service Centre website are authorised subject to the condition that due acknowledgement is given as follows: ‘© European GNSS Agency’. (does not apply a different source is stated, e.g. ESA). Please also include a link back to this website: https://www.gsc-europa.eu.
The permission granted above does not extend to any textual or artistic material (drawings, photos, audio, video, etc.) on this site which is identified as being the copyright of a third-party. In these circumstances, authorisation to reproduce such material must be obtained directly from the copyright holders.
All logos and trademarks are excluded from the above-mentioned general permission.
Privacy statement regarding protection of personal data in relation to the European GNSS Service Centre (GSC) web portal
All personal data are dealt with in compliance with the applicable rules on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data by the Union institutions, bodies, offices and agencies and on the free movement of such data (currently Regulation (EU) No 2018/1725).
The following data protection information notice outlines the criteria by which the data are collected, managed and used in relation to the GSC web portal.
Identity of the Controller and Data Protection Officer:
- Controller: European Global Navigation Satellite Systems Agency (GSA), Head of Galileo Exploitation Department; email@example.com
- DPO: European Global Navigation Satellite Systems Agency (GSA), Data Protection Officer; firstname.lastname@example.org
Purpose of processing:
GSC web portal registration: the purpose of the processing is the establishment of a database of registered users on the GSC web portal (“GSC internal user database”) in order to allow registered users to:
- access the GSC helpdesk service;
- subscribe to email notifications on (1) Newsletters on European GNSS related performances/activities (performance reports, updates of the European GNSS Programme documentation, Galileo User Satisfaction survey, invitation to European GNSS related events, specific market studies etc.), (2) automatic notifications on Notice Advisory to Galileo Users (“NAGU”), (3) automatic notifications on Galileo products access availability (Galileo Almanac, Galileo Ephemeris, Galileo Clocks and Galileo Orbits) and (4) notifications generated by incoming services to which the user could eventually subscribe.
GSC helpdesk service: the purposes of the processing are:
- the management of queries submitted by registered users;
- the possibility to include tools in the “GNSS Simulation and Testing Tool Infrastructure” (GSTI);
- the management of Galileo Signal in Space (SiS) incidents reports submitted by registered users;
- the management of archived products requests submitted by registered users.
Data/categories of data concerned:
GSC web portal registration: users submit the following data when registering to the GSC web portal through the registration form (https://www.gsc-europa.eu/user/register):
- username, email address, first and last name.
In case the user does not provide this date, the registration process cannot be completed.
After the registration. the user is invited to voluntarily add some additional personal information (country, function,organisation, type of organisation, type of business or sector) and preferences (market, Galileo services).
Additionally, users may further authorise the processing of their personal data for the following purposes:
- Subscription to email notifications concerning (1) Newsletter on European GNSS related performances/activities, (2) Notice Advisory to Galileo Users (“NAGU”) and (3) Galileo products access availability: only users already registered (i.e. having provided the data mentioned under the first bullet point above) may subscribe to email notifications on automatic products availability notifications, newsletters on European GNSS related performances/activities and automatic NAGU notifications. Data subjects may provide the following additional data, which however are not necessary for the purpose of subscribing to any of the aforementioned services: country of residence, professional function, organisation, type of organisation, type of business sector;
- GSC helpdesk service: only users already registered (i.e. having provided the data mentioned under the first bullet point above) may access the GSC helpdesk service (by using the same ‘username’ when registered through the registration form); there is no need for data subjects to provide any additional personal data;
- GSC incident reporting: only users already registered (i.e. having provided the data mentioned under the first bullet point above) may access the GSC incident reporting function; there is no need for data subjects to provide any additional personal data, as the only data that must be provided are related to the incident which is reported (e.g. latitude and longitude of incident’s location, number of occurrences of the incident etc.)
Recipients/categories of recipients of the data processed:
Access to personal data is granted on the basis of the “need to know” principle to a limited number of:
- Staff of the GSA;
Staff of GSA contractors, under the Galileo Service Operator Contract (ref: GSA/CD/14/14), in charge of:
- GSC operations (including user service management);
- GSC web-portal infrastructure provision, maintenance and evolution;
Staff of GSA contractors in charge of:
- providing web services for the GSA’s website www.gsc-europa.eu (such as website design, website hosting including cloud services etc.);
- the evolution of the supporting infrastructure.
Any questions received pertaining to EGNOS or GPS could potentially be shared with the EGNOS service provider and the United States Navigation Centre (US-NAVCEN) respectively. In such a case, only the content of the question is shared without the transfer of any other personal data.
Any recipient shall be reminded of its obligation not to use the data received for other purposes than the one for which they were transmitted.
Legal basis/Lawfulness of processing:
Processing is based on the consent of the data subjects (Article 5(1)(d) of Regulation 2018/1725).
- GSC web portal registration: all data subjects interested in registering as users must declare their consent to the treatment of their personal data with the modalities indicated in the present privacy statement for the purpose of establishing a database of registered users, by filling-in an online consent form. Only data subjects which consent to such treatment may proceed with the registration. The consequences of absence/non-provision of the information marked as "mandatory" in the registration form are the inability to create an account in the database and, consequently, to have the user included in the GSC registered user database (and to request the further services indicated below)
- Subscription to email notifications: only users who have completed the registration may access this service; by subscribing to such notifications users declare their informed consent to the further treatment of the personal data which they provided during the registration process or of any additional data they may provide during this step of the process.
- GSC helpdesk service: only users who have completed the registration may access this service, which does not require the provision of any further personal data; by contacting the helpdesk, users declare their informed consent to the further treatment of the personal data which they provided during the registration process.
- GSC incident reporting: only users who have completed the registration may access this service, which does not require the provision of any further personal data; by reporting an incident, users declare their informed consent to the further treatment of the personal data which they provided during the registration process.
Information on the retention period and storage locations of personal data:
- Personal data may be stored on the servers of the GSA contractors mentioned above (under the section on “recipients of the data”), which are located in the EU and abiding by the necessary security provisions;
- Data is subject to back-up for a period of 10 (ten) years, in complaince with parallel legal and security requirements;
- Users can unregister either from the personal area through the tab "edit" and button "Cancel Account", or by sending an email to email@example.com.
Erasure of users’ personal data:
Users’ personal data will be deleted in the following cases:
- once the 10-year retention period indicated under section “Information on the retention period and storage locations of personal data” above expires;
- once a user is no longer registered at the GSC web portal;
- if the GSC stops providing its services;
- if a user revokes consent to the processing as explained under the section “the data subjects’ rights” below;
- if a user exercises his/her right of erasure of personal data and the statutory provisions explained under the section “the data subjects’ rights” below are met
In all the cases above, the following modalities will apply:
In case the 10-year retention period has expired or in case the GSC stops providing its services:
- personal data will be deleted from all storage locations
In case the 10-year retention period has not expired and the GSC continues providing its services:
- personal data in the GSC operational databases will be deleted immediately, with the exception of the users’ personal data which are stored in the “Jira Service Desk”; the personal data from the “Jira Service Desk” are deleted manually at frequent intervals, therefore the deletion may not be immediate;
- personal data present in backups (i.e. for archiving purposes) will not be deleted before the expiry of the 10-year retention period, however adequate safeguards are in place to ensure that the personal data of data subjects who have withdrawn consent will not be reintroduced to the operational databases in case an archived backup is restored
The data subjects’ rights:
Data subjects have the right:
- to obtain confirmation as to whether or not their personal data are being processed, access the data and obtain detailed information on the processing;
- of rectification of inaccurate personal data;
- of erasure of personal data if the statutory provisions1 are met and subject to provisions under section "Erasure of users' personal data" above
- of restriction of processing if the statutory provisions2 are met;
- to data portability;
- to withdraw their consent to processing of their personal data at any time – such shall not affect the lawfulness of the processing which occurred before such withdrawal;
- to lodge a complaint at any time to the European Data Protection Supervisor (EDPS) at firstname.lastname@example.org should they consider that the processing operations do not comply with Regulation (EU) 2018/1725.
Any request for the exercise of any of the abovementioned rights shall be addressed at email@example.com; data subjects are kindly requested to describe their requests explicitly.
- Regarding the processing of your personal data: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Regarding the interpretation, application or breach of Regulation (EU) 2018/1725: GSA Data Protection Officer (DPO) at email@example.com.
1 Currently Article 19 Regulation (EU) 2018/1725.
2 Currently Article 20 Regulation (EU) 2018/1725.